How about something light and sweet with your after-dinner coffee? This is one to try…
Chocolate-Espresso Chiffon Cake
4 tsp espresso powder or instant coffee crystals
¾ cup water
2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
½ cup cooking oil
1 tsp vanilla
3 oz. bittersweet chocolate, grated
½ tsp cream of tartar
1 recipe Espresso Whipped Cream
1. Separate eggs, discarding 3 of the yolks or saving for another use. Let eggs stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Dissolve espresso in water, set aside.
2. In large bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; make well in center. Add oil, the 5 egg yolks, dissolved espresso, and vanilla. Beat on low until moistened; beat on medium-high 4 to 5 minutes or until satin smooth. Stir in grated chocolate.
3. Wash and dry beaters. In 4-quart bowl beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium-high until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Pour chocolate batter in thin stream over surface of whites; fold to blend. Spoon in ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
4. Bake 60-70 minutes or until tip springs back when lightly touched near center. Invert pan to cool. Carefully loosen sides, remove from pan. Serve with Espresso Whipped Cream. Makes 14 servings.
5. Espresso Whipped Cream: In chilled bowl combine 1 cup whipping cream, 1 tbsp sugar, ½ to 1 tsp espresso powder or instant coffee crystals, and ½ tsp vanilla. Beat until soft peaks form.