Mashed Irish Breakfast Sweet Potatoes
This is a great way to enjoy flavorful sweet potatoes without the added sugar…
- Brew 3 cups of Irish Breakfast tea (Rooibos and Earl Grey work also)
- Rinse and drain one 15 oz can of sweet potatoes
- Add tea and sweet potatoes to a saucepan
- Cut sweet potatoes into ½” chunks with a fork
- Let sit for 10 minutes
- Simmer sweet potatoes on low to medium low until most of the moisture is gone
- Stir and mash sweet potatoes thoroughly with a fork until smooth
- Add a dash of salt and pepper, a tablespoon of butter, and a dash of cinnamon (optional)
- Continue heating and stirring for a minute or two
- Transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy!
Cooking a meal with TEA can be an imaginative and healthy endeavor!
JASMINE TEA GLAZE (Pork or Chicken)
1 C brewed Jasmine tea
1 tablespoon water
¼ C olive oil
¼ C sugar
2 cloves fresh garlic, pressed or chopped
1 teaspoon cornstarch
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Pepper to taste (salt optional)
In small saucepan heat the cup of Jasmine tea.
Add sugar and boil until dissolved.
Add garlic and pepper.
Put cornstarch in small bowl and mix with 1 tablespoon water to make a paste.
While stirring constantly add paste until glaze reaches desired consistency.
Remove from heat.
Add olive oil.
Add balsamic vinegar.
Marinate meat in tea glaze in a covered container.
GREEN TEA RISOTTO with ZUCCHINI
½ medium onion, diced
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 C Arborio (risotto) rice
4 C brewed green pekoe tea (brew 7-10 minutes)
1 small zucchini, shredded
Salt and pepper to taste
In medium saucepan heat oil.
Sauté onion and garlic until tender.
Remove onion and garlic with slotted spoon.
Add rice to oil and stir to coat.
With heat on medium add ½ C tea.
Stir until absorbed.
Add tea ½ C tea at a time, stirring until absorbed.
When rice is al dente there should be ½ C tea left.
Stir zucchini into the rice and add the rest of the tea.
Stir until thick and creamy.
IRISH GREEN BEANS
1 # fresh green beans, trimmed
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 cups brewed Irish Breakfast tea
Toasted almond slices (optional)
Steam green beans.
While beans are steaming, sauté minced garlic in olive oil until opaque.
Add brewed tea and simmer for a few minutes.
Remove beans from steamer and put in large bowl.
Pour garlic-tea sauce over drained beans.
Garnish and serve immediately.