The flavors of a coffeehouse favorite infuse a yellow cake , rich filling and sweet frosting…Yum!
Caramel Latte Cake
1 box yellow cake mix
1 1/4 cups warm water
1 Tbsp instant espresso coffee granules
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 can (13.4 oz.) dulce de leche (caramelized sweetened condensed milk)
1/2 cup hot water
3 Tbsp instant espresso coffee granules
1 Tbsp dark rum or 1 tsp rum extract plus 2 tsp water
Frosting and Garnish
1 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 oz semisweet baking chocolate, chopped or 1 tsp cocoa
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F for shiney metal or glass pan (or 325 degrees F for dark or nonstick pan). Spray bottom only of 13X9-inch pan with baking spray with flour.
2. In large bowl, place cake mix, In 2-cup glass measuring cup, stir 1 1/4 cups warm water and i tablespoon espresso granules until granules are dissolved. Add espresso mixture, butter and eggs to cake mix. Beat with electric miser on low speed 30 seconds; scrape bowl. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes longer. Pour batter into pan.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool ckae in pan on cooling rack 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, pour dulce de leche into medium microwavable bowl. In small bowl, mix 1/2 cup hot water, 3 tablespoons espresso granules and the rum; stir into dulce de leche until smooth. Microwave uncovered on High 2 to 3 minutes, stirring after about 1 minute with wire whisk, until pourable. Set aside while cake cools.
5. Poke cooled cake every 1/2 inch with handle end of wooden spoon. Pour dulce de leche mixture evenly over cake; spread mixture over top of cake with metal spatula to fill holes. Run knife around sides of pan to loosen cake. Cover; refrigerate 2 hours.
6. In medium bowl, beat whipping cream and powdered sugar on high speed until stiff. Spread whipped cream evenly over chilled cake. Sprinkle with chopped chocolate. Store covered in refrigerator.